‎I’m relieved, says Tinubu as abducted Kebbi schoolgirls regain freedom

All the 24 schoolgirls abducted from Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga in Danko-Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State have regained their freedom.

Governor Nasir Idris who revealed the glad story on Tuesday night during a special press briefing in Birnin Kebbi said that the freed girls had been rescued unharmed and were on their way to the state capital.


‎Meanwhile, President Bola Tinubu has welcomed the release of the 24 schoolgirls abducted by terrorists from the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga in Danko-Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi, on November. 17.

‎The president also charged the security agencies to intensify efforts to rescue others still in captivity.

‎In a statement by Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga, on Tuesday in Abuja President Tinubu expressed relief that the schoolgirls, taken shortly after a military detachment left the school premises, had been reunited with the authorities.

‎He stated that the Kebbi abduction had sparked copycat incidents in Eruku, Kwara , and Papiri, Niger.

‎All 38 the abducted victims in Eruku were freed on Sunday, while the Niger Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), had confirmed that 50 of the missing students from a Catholic School in the state had returned home.

‎The president commended the security agencies for their efforts so far, urging them to intensify operations to free those still held.

‎“I am relieved that all the 24 girls have been accounted for.

“Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping.

‎”My government will offer all the assistance needed to achieve this,” Tinubu vowed. (NAN)

Related Articles