From States Slider 

#EndSARS: Osun, Ekiti, Ondo, Impose 24-hour Curfew

Governor Gboyega Oyetola, of Osun State has declared a 24-hour curfew on the state, effective from 11:59 pm (today), until further notice.
Oyetola said the curfew followed the dangerous dimension the EndSARS protest had assumed across the country, particularly in the South West states.
A statement issued on Tuesday in Osogbo by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Wole Oyebamiji, quotes the governor as saying with the curfew imposed, there will be no movement throughout the state.
Oyetola said only those on essential duties with valid identification would be permitted to move around during the period of the curfew.
He appealed to citizens and residents of the state to comply with the directive, adding that any person found contravening the order would be arrested and made to face the wrath of the law.
The statement read partly, “the Government of the State of Osun note with a high sense of responsibility the unfortunate dangerous dimension the #EndSARS protests have assumed across the country, particularly in the South West States.
” In our dear State, but for providence, the governor would not have been alive to preside over today’s security meeting following the attempt on his life last Saturday.
“In spite of the Saturday incident, we have allowed the protest to continue in the hope that the real protesters would take charge of the protest.
” Events of the last 48 hours have however shown clearly that the protests have been hijacked by criminals and hoodlums.
” As a responsible and responsive government that took the sacred oath to protect the lives and property of our citizens, we will not sit and watch criminals unleash terror on our State.
“Consequently, the Governor of the State of Osun, Mr. Adegboyega Oyetola, hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the state, effective from 11.59 pm today, Tuesday, October 20, until further notice”.
The governor, however, enjoined all citizens to be peaceful and to be law abiding, adding that all efforts would be made to protect them and their property.(NAN)

The Government of Ekiti State has observed with growing concern how the ENDSARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

The hoodlums have capitalised on the ENDSARS protest to rape, assault, rob and extort innocent citizens across the State. These are in addition to the wanton destruction of properties, particularly private properties.

Government is concerned that if this state of affairs is allowed to continue unabated, it will lead to a breakdown of law and order thereby threatening the wellbeing of the people of Ekiti State.

For the purpose of clarity Government continues to show understanding and responsiveness to the demands of the legitimate protesters.

On 16th October 2020, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Governor, Ekiti State met with the protesters in person. While identifying with the legitimacy of their protests, he assured them that the State Government will immediately put measures in place to respond to all their demands.

Government has since then constituted a Human Rights Investigation Panel to review all cases of abuse by Officers of the disbanded SARS. In addition, Government has enabled a Victims Compensation Fund to facilitate speedy remedial measures for victims of such abuse.

Furthermore, several officials of Government have engaged the protesters at multiple fora and platforms including the social media in order to ensure that concerns of protesters are properly identified and responded to in a prompt and efficient manner with necessary feedback.

Government had also at various times drawn the attention of the protesters to the troubling hijack of the protests by individuals whose only interest is to inflict violence on the people of the state.

In the past 48 hours there have been incidents of gang-rape, robberies, physical assaults on innocent people, looting and burning of a police station. These acts of brigandage are not in consonance with the legitimate aspirations of the protesters. It cannot be logical to seek to remedy impunity with impunity.

Government therefore cannot afford to watch a deliberate enthronement of anarchy by some bad elements who have hijacked the protest for some clandestine reasons.

Consequently, the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State starting from 10.00 pm tonight, Tuesday, October, 20, 2020.

Only essential workers and service providers with valid means of identifications are allowed to move around during the period of the curfew.

Any person found on the street that does not belong to this category, would be promptly arrested and prosecuted according to the laws of Ekiti State.

We seek the understanding of the good people of Ekiti State as we continue to take deliberate steps towards ensuring that peace and normalcy return to our state.

Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has imposed a 24 hour curfew on the state from 12 a.m on Wednesday till further notice, due to the ongoing nationwide #EndSARS protest.

Akeredolu, who gave the directive in a statewide broadcast on Tuesday, however, exempted those on essential duties from the curfew.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nigerians, especially the youths, have taken to the street in protest over violations of human right and alleged extra judicial killing by Police personnel, specifically the State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

He said all bars, banks, shops, petrol stations, shopping malls, markets, motor parks and all public spaces were to comply with the directive forthwith except those on essentials services.

The governor, who directed security agencies to ensure compliance and stand firm in the defence of the people, advised all parents and guardians to ensure that their wards were kept in their homes.

“Pieces of news emanating from our neighbouring states are somewhat disturbing.

“It is obvious that certain elements have hijacked the agitation originally meant to correct the manifest wrongs for which the operatives of the defunct SARS are accused.

“Our state has not experienced this ugly trend and it is our belief that the good people of the state will continue to display the same level of patriotism as the problem is not local.

“The government is looking seriously into all these issues with a view to resolving them and giving our youths confidence.

“This administration has the obligation to protect all citizens, including the youths. It will not shy away from its responsibility in this regard.

“I admonish all citizens and residents of our great state to discourage violence and disturbance of peace throughout the state,” he said in the broadcast. (NAN)

 

 

 

Related posts

Open

All-In-One Solution Pack: Hosting, Domain Registration, Web Design / Dev and Content Management. Contact : 09054605145