What appeared to be mysterious death on Thursday claimed the lives of four persons ( Three males, & One female) in Asaba, Delta State through a possible carbon monoxide (CO) suffocation from electricity generator.
Sources said that the incident occurred in one of the apartments located in Rich Man Garden Estate that involved four people whose identities were yet to be known because they barely package into the apartment a few days earlier
Briefing newsmen on the incident, Chairman of the Estate, Mr Clement Okafor seized the opportunity to call the attention of the energy distribution company in the state to activate the transformer in the area which has remained comatose for three years.
Okafor believed that the youths who just moved into two bed room apartment last Tuesday may have died due to prolonged inhalation of Carbon monoxide from their generator’s fume.
Meanwhile, the landlord of the premises, Mr Onuoha Okonji said that the deceased tenants were introduced to him by an agent to rent his apartment, adding that payment was made and then transaction concluded before one of them moved in
Speaking further, the landlord said that he was surprised to discover that four more persons have joined the original tenant who he identified as Maxwell from Ozoro Community, adding that he was baffled when he got a distress call in the early hours of on the fateful day that there was a tragedy.
A neighbour, Engr Odogwu said that the other occupants of the apartment raised concerns over the wellbeing of the new tenants who had not come out of their flat even when the rains soaked their belongings adding” during night, we discovered that even when it rained on their properties they did not come out and when we knew all was not well because no sane person will leave his properties under the rain when he can take them inside. This morning, we became worried that they did not care for their properties and that was why we invited the police so that we can ascertain if all was well behind the closed door”
Other neighbours said they witnessed a working generator which may have fueled their suspicion that it might have been a possible exposure to generator fumes adding that” we didn’t find anything drugs or related substance and all of them were sitting in the parlour at the time we entered.
But the Police Commissioner in the state, Hafiz Muhammed Inuwah who spoke on the incident said investigation was going on to ascertain the true situation adding that the Police will come out with details of the incident on completion of investigation and warned against reporting without the police inputs , especially as it concerns human lives and properties, but confirmed that some people within the area were already talking with the Police