The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has in its interpretation of the Supreme Court Judgement confirmed the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
Senator Douye Diri and Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo as the Governor-elect and Deputy Governor-elect for Bayelsa State.
INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu at a press briefing on Friday dismissed insinuations from different quarters to give effect to the pronouncement of the apex court.
MEDIA BRIEFING BY THE CHAIRMAN INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION INEC PROFESSOR MAHMOOD YAKUBU ON THE JUDGEMENT OF THE SUPREME COURT ON THE BAYELSA GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION HELD AT THE CONFERENCE ROOM lNEC HEADQUARTERS ABUJA ON FRIDAY 14TH FEBRUARY, 2020
Honourable National Commissioners, Secretary to the Commission, Directors, The Media, Ladies and Gentlemen
- I welcome you all to this briefing. As you are aware, the Supreme Court of Nigeria yesterday delivered a judgement in a pre-election suit on the Bayelsa State Govemorship election held on 16‘“ November 2019. The Commission has received the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the judgement of the apex court which disqualified the Deputy Governorship candidate and vitiated the joint ticket of the party earlier declared winner in the election. The Court also ordered the Commission to “…declare as winner of the Govemorship election in Bayelsa State the candidate with the highest number of lawfhl votes cast with the requisite constitutional (or geographical spread)”.
- In compliance with the orders of the Supreme Court, the Commission met this morning and reviewed the result of the election in which 45 political parties contested. Without the votes scored by the All Progressives Congress (APC), whose candidates were deemed not to have participated in the election, the total number of lawful and valid votes cast in the election now stand at 146,999.
Out of this figure, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) scored the highest number of lawful votes with 143,172. Similarly, the Party has scored more than 25% of the lawful votes cast in all the eight (8) Local Government Areas of the State.
- Furthermore, the total number of registered voters in places where election was not held or cancelled as a result of sundry violations is 90,822. The candidate of the Accord party has the next highest score with 1,339 votes. The margin of lead between the candidates of the PDP and the Accord party is 141,833 votes. With this outcome, the election is conclusive at first ballot.
- Consequently, Senator Douye Diri AND Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo of the PDP are hereby declared winners and returned elected as Governor and Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State respectively.
- The detailed result will be shared with you at this briefing and uploaded on the Commission’s website and social media platforms shortly.
- The Commission is aware that the tenure of the incumbent Governor of Bayelsa State ends at midnight today Friday 14th February 2020. Therefore, in fulfilment of the requirement of Section 75 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended) the Certificates of Return to the Governor and Deputy Govemor-elect will be presented to them immediately as ordered by the Supreme Court.